A Boy Dies After Consuming Wild Honey

Standard Eight boy from Tumbura area in Kathuura Sub-Location, Tharaka South Sub-County in Tharaka Nithi County died and another is hospitalised at Marimanti Level Four Hospital after allegedly eating poisonous wild honey.

Turima Location Chief Philip Mutugi said an elderly man who had reportedly harvested the honey and helped the two boys on Thursday was also treated at Kibunga Sub-County Hospital.

Honey photo courtesy

“The boys were reportedly given the honey by the elderly man who had harvested the honey from a tree locally known as muthigu but investigations are ongoing to establish the truth,” said Mr Mutugi.

However, according to the Nation, the administrator warned the locals against consuming wild honey known as nchuura in the local dialect, which is not made by the common bees but by a species of smaller ones that do not sting and mainly live in hollow trees or abandoned holes in the ground locally known as tuchuura.

Also read Honey&Dough shuts down operations after 3 years
Nonetheless, locals presume that nchuura, which is eaten raw, is medicinal and it is highly sought after, especially by pastoralists

You are currently viewing A Boy Dies After Consuming Wild Honey

Leave a Reply