Treat The Family With This Coconut Milk Stewed Matoke … with rice. This finger licking recipe is Tried + Tasted
Recipe by: Dennis Ombachi
- 8 Green Bananas ‘Matoke’
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock(optional)
- 1 bunch coriander
- Salt&pepper to taste
- Wash and peel your bananas. Chop them into desired shape (optional) and let them soak in salty water completely submerged so as not to oxidize (turn color)
- Chop up your veggies, tomatoes, onions and the coriander.
- Heat up two tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium high heat and cook your onions until soft, fragrant and translucent. Add tomatoes and cook down until completely broken down into a smooth and consistent paste.
- Add in your bananas and fry for a minute or two before pouring in the coconut milk and the chicken stock or water then bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes until cooked and stew has thickened to your liking.
- You can add in some more water or stock to adjust the consistency of the stew.
- Season with Salt&pepper to taste then Add in the chopped coriander,turn off the heat and serve hot with a side of choice.